What is The 80:20 Rule for Weight Loss?

You may have heard before “everything in moderation,” but what does that look like? Moderation can be difficult to conceptualize with food. With my 80:20 Rule, eating healthfully and sustainably is easy to follow, you won’t feel out of control, and you will see weight loss results! You will feel more comfortable around food, either again or maybe for the first time. Let me break down my 80:20 rule for you.

What Does This Mean?

80:20 is a ratio meaning that 80% of the time you choose minimally processed foods. Examples include but not limited to whole grains, fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, lean proteins. The other 20% of the time you choose your “fun foods” to eat. This includes the traditionally labeled “unhealthy” foods like candies, fried food, baked goods, etc. Along with this ratio, portion size and control are critical for seeing weight loss and keeping it off. Overconsumption of even the most healthy foods will keep the weight on or even add more.

Why Does This Work?

The 80:20 rule works because you are not depriving yourself of foods you love. If you read my previous blog about the Typical Dieting Cycle, you learned that depriving yourself of your food cravings will lead to overconsumption, guilt, and cyclical poor eating behaviors. With the 80:20 rule you still honor your cravings while understanding that in order to lose weight (and keep it off) you must have portion control.

The Bottom Line

Following my 80:20 rule will help you lose weight, develop a healthy relationship with food, and achieve sustainable eating habits. My clients agree that they experience these results! Want to know how to get started? Click here to set up a free consultation to learn more.

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All